Pages

Sunday 2 August 2015

Book Musings - Cold Mark - The Complete Saga by Scarlett Dawn

Title : Cold Mark - The Complete Saga
Author : Scarlett Dawn
Series : Cold Mark
Genre : Science Fiction, Romance
Source : Free copy from the author in exchange for an unbiased review

Blurb :

"MY WORLD WAS FOREVER CHANGED."

Cold Mark - The Complete Saga

FALL
Thrown head first into a barbaric world she knows nothing of, Braita Valorn must adapt to a dark life as a slave of the Mian society--her existence depends on it.

SINK
Danger lurks, and Braita's lack of knowledge of the planet, Triaz, is now abundantly clear. On a mission to find her best friend, Jax, she must infiltrate the Crank Pit, a brutal complex where Mian enter, only to leave absent a heartbeat.

STOP
Braita Valorn is stuck. She has no real freedom, her existence dependent on what the men of Triaz decide. But she desperately wants it to be, and will do anything to capture it.

RISE
Judgments are made, an archaic stand within Mian laws, and Braita finds herself charged with treason. But never one to sit during a battle, she risks her last chance of release with blackmail.

SOAR
Braita Valorn is a disaster walking. One mistake after another on the planet Triaz has landed her in trouble time and again.
Will Braita obtain her freedom?
Or will she finally accept a life she never asked for?



My Musings :

I usually don't read Science fiction because I, for some reason,associate the words mechanical, emotionless with that genre. I know I am wrong but that's what I have always felt. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. This is a science fiction book leaning towards romance. It has all the aspects of both genres and overall, it was an enjoyable read.

I will be reviewing it as an entire set and not each volume. That's because the parts were too short and had cliffhangers in them all so I think it would be better to write about my thoughts on it in general.

The start of the series sees the introduction of the main characters, Braita and Jax. The way they are taken to a different planet for their people to survive. The description of their planet was done in such an easy language that the images formed easily in my mind. The challenges they face are shown in clear imagery. There was no lacking for information in the book about the characters or the worlds they inhabit. I felt that aliens would be atleast repulsive and different from Humans. But the Plumas of both East and West were characterised as people with emotions similar to them though their physical attributes are totally different. They are the Alphas in Triaz and that shows through each scene.

The plot of the series is finely crafted evoking the feelings of the main characters which leads to certain reckless actions and situations. Braita especially is led by her heart though she is a ruthless one when it comes to a fight. I felt Jax was cold blooded than her though he finds his heart half way through while the Plumas, though tough are tender hearted when it comes to their Soul. The side characters support the story well with their actions. The action scenes are few in between but it shows the "powers" of a Mian. Don't think that the tale is only full of action. It also has romance in it with the spotlight on the heat factor. Yes, you are in for a very "hot" romance. There has been certain twists in the plots which took me by surprise and kept me turning the pages in anticipation.

The ending was incomplete and rather abrupt which has me wanting to try out the continuation series to know if any more light is shed on this set of characters. The book was a short easy read with developed characters who I could relate to with their humanness inspite of being otherworldly. So I can easily see romance book lovers who also like sci-fi elements in their stories to take a gander at it.

My one line review : An enjoyable sci-fi romance full of emotions and heat.

My rating : 4/5

My reread factor : 3/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment