Pages

Thursday 13 August 2015

Book Musings - Demon Huntress : Destiny Unleashed by Cynthia Vespia

Title : Demon Huntress : Destiny Unleashed
Author : Cynthia Vespia
Series : Demon Huntress, Book 1
Genre : Fantasy
Source : Free copy from the author for an unbiased review

Blurb : 

Even the daughter of the demon hunter has to learn the ropes... Khalen Calabrese refused to accept the title of Demon Hunter or the duty that went along with it. 

Instead, she chose a life of adventure as a pirate on the high seas. Freedom, fortune, and glory were hers until the past came calling. Infected with a family curse, and with minions from Hell at her back, time is running out. Now she must take up the title she never wanted before the darkness claims her. Nothing is ever easy when you’re the hunter of demons.




My Musings : 

The book blurb was the one thing which made me want to read the book. A female pirate and a family curse are interesting elements and I wanted to know how it was all going to get together into a readable tale. This is one of the few times the book cover didn't appeal that much to me. It felt too crowded though it goes with the "dark" atmosphere of the story.

It was when I finished the book that I realised that this is an offshoot of an earlier series, The Demon Hunter. But the author did a good job of making it an independent read inspite of it being kind of a continuation series. This is one positive point in favour of the book for me. Because seriously I wouldn't want to read an entire previous series in order to understand the present read. But this has piqued my interest in the original series and I might just check it out. 

This book felt different because it had a dark-ish vibe throughout the story. All through the reading, I felt an overcast feeling to the tale. I actually liked it. It was a nice change to read about a heroine who is constantly battling her evil side. That shows her strength of character and appeals her to me. It's a rarity indeed that there are only 4 or so characters you have to learn about in a book. 

One thing I felt had less importance was the world building. The background and places and people introduced were very few and it had a narrow view of the world surrounding Khalen and her co characters. Other that that, the story was gripping with dark overtones and kept my attention easily. It wasn't a hardship at all completing the book. The pace too was steady and the constant trouble finding Khalen kept me on the edge of the seat till the end. I can't wait to read more about her and others. 

Overall, I can see myself continuing the series and I would give this book a 3.5 stars easily. 

My one line review : A protagonist doing an inner and outer battle steals your heart easily.

My rating : 3.5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

Floryie

2 comments: