Pages

Wednesday 23 January 2019

Book Musings - The Shy Girl and the Football Star by Julia Keanini

Click the cover to go the Goodreads page

Source : Kindle Unlimited
Date read : January 7,2019
Rating : 5/5
Reread factor : 3/5


Blurb :

A relationship between the nerdy, shy girl and the hot football star can work, right?
The only thing worse than having to go to the same high school as my beautiful, cheer-captain sister, Charity? Finding out she's dating the boy next door I've had a crush on since I was three years old.

Being in the shadow of a girl like Charity would be tough for any little sister, but when I can't fit the shadow because I'll never be perky, popular, or a size two? Life is pretty near miserable. At least my awesome friends make high school bearable. But when football stardom and the popularity that brings threatens to take away Tuck, the best of my friends? That's when something has to change.

A story of friendship, family, tragedy, and most of all romance.

My Musings :

It's been a while since I read a YA book so when I was planning this month's reading list, I picked 3 of them from KU. I apparently had a yearning for the teen angst. Sometimes I have regretted reading a YA book but this time, it was different. I had no idea when I started the book that I would love it because of the topics it deals with.

The author has touched on a lot of serious subjects in the book that though it is aimed at the teens, it can be read by adults too because it is applicable to them too. Yes it is a romance book but that's only secondary as far as I am concerned. The story is more about the body shaming in regards with the looks and weight and the impact it has on the students. And the issue of eating disorders is also lightly touched on to bring awareness to it. The author gives out certain messages regarding these subjects and she has done it interspersed with a tale of love and friendship. I like that, actually, since it's easier to swallow the pill with some sweetness.

The book is not fully dull and gloomy but a cute and fun love story if you overlook the serious themes. Lacey and Tucker are my idea of a longtime couple. I loved their friends-to-first-love story though I felt Tuck could have spoken up sooner about his objections to Lacey's girlfriend ideas. At first, I thought Lacey was just superficial but as her problems come to the surface and after the incident with Ash, I pitied her and from that pity, rose an understanding of what makes Lacey tick. As the story moved forward, I got to like her and finally love her. Shawna is another person I loved. She makes a very good best friend.

The story is told in Lacey's POV so I got a front seat view of her life. And I quite enjoyed it in terms of her romance. The romance was drawn out and very light . But one point I loved was the way the author ended the book. It gave me closure in respect to their love and their lives and I was pretty satisfied with it!

Since I wasn't expecting a heavy reading with lots of tears amidst the light fun, the book was a slightly slower read in spite of the fast pace. And the writing style has endeared the author to me. So I am pretty sure I will be on the lookout for reading the other books in the series, the Sunday Lunchers!

My one line review : A light romance with lots of tears amidst fun and friendship.

Floryie

14 comments:

  1. This looks like a heart squeezer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when books like this tackle some important topics. Thanks for the review.
    Gemma @ www.gemmasbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like books like this one. I'm adding this one to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks like a book I'd really enjoy! I'm definitely adding this one to the tbr, thanks for sharing.
    - Melissa
    http://melissasfandomworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did..

      Delete
  5. Lovely review. Not sure it would be for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, this is actually the first time I have heard or seen this book until today, and it looks and sounds like an amazingly fantastic book. I'm really glad you fully enjoyed the book, thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete