Pages

Saturday 29 October 2016

Book Musings - Winters Rising by Shannyn Leah

Title : Winters Rising
Author : Shannyn Leah
Series : Lexcon Time Travel, Book 1
Genre : Fantasy, Sci Fi
Source : Free copy 

Blurb :

Brea was born a Second, a lowly class of people in the Lexcon society. But she also bore the birthmark that destined her to marry a Gatekeeper, the “superheroes” of their world. Some called her destiny a great privilege. She called it doomed to a cage with no key.

Gatekeepers were born and raised to ensure time remained untainted and unchanged, but Brea saw them as overlords who looked down on her kind… on Seconds.

Forced to marry Gatekeeper Jax Winters, Brea vows not to complete the ritual bonding with him until she can talk with council about how Seconds are treated. She plans to use her newfound status to help the plight of those born like her.

But she never dreams of the twist her life will take, moving her into a higher position than she’d ever dreamed. Will she and Jax always be at odds, or will their hearts bond together as their souls already have? Will Brea change the future of Lexcon, or will she be forever doomed to live life in the dark?

My Musings :

I received an ebook free of charge from the author for an honest review.

I have always loved time travel themed books and so when I came across this book's blurb, I was interested to read it. The author is new to me so I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading it. The book cover is clean and attractive but I feel it doesn't make any connection with the plot.

The starting had me energised. I was intrigued with Brea's life and her thoughts. But it quickly turned to mostly whining on her part. Though she is strong she doesn't let out that strength for everyone to see till the near end. She is headstrong and very stubborn in her views. Nothing short of disaster slows her down. Jax is pretty good in his role as the Gatekeeper but he vacillates a lot in regard with Brea. Most times I felt he could have just shown his feelings which would have reduced half the conflict.

The side characters were a selective lot. There weren't that many to get confused. The Winters' family had me liking and disliking them in turns. I loved Eva though! She was my favourite because of her down to earth nature. Victor and Declan, both ended up on my hitlist with their attitudes. I feel more information could have been given about the council and the Elders. It felt lacking in that area.

The world building was unique and interesting enough to make me continue the read. The concept of time travel in terms of Gatekeepers is pretty well established in the story. The plot and the pace were well suited to each other. There were few twists and turns to keep the tale intriguing. The dialogue was natural in most parts. The banter between Jax and Brea, at times, felt like the squabbling between kids.

As a fantasy book, it created a different world to get lost in easily while the romance part was given enough importance but it felt lukewarm sometimes. The ending was pretty good. It has me all excited for the next book. All in all, it was a good tale.

My rating : 3.5/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment