Pages

Tuesday 4 October 2016

Book Musings - The Bachelor Auction by Rachel Van Dyken

Title : The Bachelor Auction
Author : Rachel Van Dyken
Series : The Bachelors of Arizona #1
Genre : Romance, Contemporary
Source : ARC

Blurb :

Cinderella never had to deal with this crap.
Jane isn't entirely sure that Cinderella got such a raw deal. Sure, she had a rough start, but didn't she eventually land a prince and a happily-ever-after? Meanwhile, Jane is busy waiting on her demanding, entitled sisters, running her cleaning business, and . . . yep, not a prince in sight. Until a party and a broken shoe incident leave Jane wondering if princes---or at least, a certain deliciously hunky billionaire---maybe do exist.

Except Brock Wellington isn't anyone's dream guy. Hell, a prince would never agree to be auctioned off in marriage to the highest bidder. Or act like an arrogant jerk---even if it was just a façade. Now, as Brock is waiting for the auction chopping block, he figures it's karmic retribution that he's tempted by a sexy, sassy woman he can't have. But while they can't have a fairy-tale ending, maybe they can indulge in a little bit of fantasy . .

My Musings : 

I received an ARC for reviewing purposes.

I have always loved Cinderella adaptations and this one is no exception. As soon as I read the blurb, I had to read it because it was intriguing and I was eager to see how the author has handled it. I have already the author's other works so I was familiar with her writing. Boy I was blown the way she has handled Cinderella retelling in a modern setting.

The protagonists, Jane and Brock were introduced rather quickly and their plight was outlined for all to see in the first few chapters. I liked that Jane was loyal and sassy and sexy while Brock was all macho and realistic in turns. I loved Jane  and Brock equally throughout the book though there were scenes I almost hated their characters. 

The supporting cast was rather well done. Brock's brothers were my favourite with their antics. They were snobby and spoiled but they grew on me easily while Jane's sisters had me hissing from the start. So much difference between the two sets of people. I hated the girls as much as I loved the boys. I am so looking forward to the next books in the series as I am so invested in their future because of the bachelor auction and their reactions to it. As for Charles and Nadine, I would love to see more of their devious selves. I am sure they have their own backstory too!

The author's writing style was easy to read. The scenes flowed and ebbed adding to the enjoyment. The pace wasn't fast and it was a lazy day read. I read the book in a short time since I was too busy trying to find out how Brock would come out unscathed and claim Jane for himself. 

All in all it was a light and fun read with all the earmarks of a rereading romance.

My rating : 5/5 

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment