Pages

Sunday 4 February 2018

Book Review - Deadly Partnership by Richard Gardner

Title : Deadly Partnership
Author : Richard Gardner
Genre: Crime, Mystery, Paranormal, Thriller
Source : Review copy from the author 

Blurb :

On his retirement, widower Paul Jenkins decides to live with his sister by the sea. But having moved in, the idyllic life that he has been hankering after is thrown into turmoil when he comes face to face with a burglar in the middle of the night.

His impulsive reaction to the intrusion has disturbing consequences when he is confronted with some unsavoury characters. However, it is the dead that he has far more to fear from.


My Musings :

When I read the blurb, I thought it was to be a ghostly revenge plot and I was expecting a horror-ish story. But what I ended up with was a story of normal people who face unforeseen circumstances.

The characters felt pretty normal to me. They weren't pretentious and that helped in making me go with the flow of the story. From the beginning, it was an easy read. I was pretty surprised at how fast I flew through the pages. It started off with an intriguing mystery in the first few pages and then promptly took me to the present scenario with the introduction of Paul and his family.

And that set the tone of the story. It was a straight forward tale at the beginning, following the mundane lives of the characters. In my opinion, there were no protagonists or antagonists in this book. All the characters were equally important and I would say the darkness in each person is the villain in this story. And that is basis of what the author has created!

As the story progressed, I was reminded of how human beings can go to any lengths to feel safe or happy. The tale isn't a suspenseful one per se but it was in the way how the author wrote to clear up the earlier mystery and how Paul's situation was handled. It was an interesting turn of events and I felt sorry towards the end for Paul in spite of his actions in the present and the past.

Another thought I had was that no matter how much ever we try to hide, truth always prevails and that someone is always witness to our actions though we think no one is looking at us. These ideals were portrayed well by the author. I thought the ghost theme would be the main plot but it was just a touch here and there but it proved to be important in the finale.

The way the author has kept the language simple and easy to read with well connected scenes made it an enjoyable read. I won't mind checking out the other works by the author since I feel that whatever he writes would be entertaining in a clear and simple manner. If you are looking for heart pounding suspense and action then this is not for you!

I received a copy from the author for reviewing purposes which doesn't impact my thoughts in any way.

My one line review : A tale which shows in an entertaining way that Truth can never be hidden.

My rating : 4/5

My reread factor : 3/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment