Pages

Friday 7 August 2015

Book Musings - The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram

Title : The Avery Shaw Experiment
Author : Kelly Oram
Series : Science Squad
Genre : Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Chick lit
Source : Bought

Blurb : 

When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically.

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.

Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest.


My Musings : 

I just reread the book and it delighted me as much as it did the first time around.

Wish science projects were as good as this one while I was in school! I would have totally aced the subject. The concept of trying to break down the stages of heart break and use it as a science experiment is very unique and intrigued me enough to read the book. This was my first book by the author and I absolutely loved it. This was way back when the book was released. Now I have become a Kelly Oram veteran.

The story was equal parts heart breaking and hilarious. The way Avery struggles with her hurt and broken heart was very sad and Grayson's antics trying to get her back to normal is so fun and had me laughing softly through the parts. The scenes flowed so easily from one to the next. I was sucked in from the start and I didn't feel the time pass until I came out of the story induced coma at the end. Need I say I loved the Epilogue 2? I literally swooned!

When I first read it, I was expecting too much teen angst but it was beautifully done and I didn't feel irritated at any point in the book. And the characters are die for with their unique personalities. Avery is so naive while Grayson is full of mischief. But his soft heart can be seen at times. It's a good thing that the book is in both POVs else I would have gone mad trying to know what's in his head. And this also lead me to the theory that if Aiden had successfully balanced Avery and Mindy, then this love story wouldn't be and that would have been a shame. Because Avery and Grayson are made for each other and they are fighting their attraction even in the first chapter. The person who caught my full attention was Libby with her eccentricities. She rocks! and I can't wait to read her story.

I can go on talking about it and I would most probably spoil the story for others so I am concluding saying that it's a fun filled, fluffy, light and fast read about teenage antics and it's a good way to spend a few hours getting lost in the intensity of teenage feelings. This is for all YA lovers. No can resist this book!

My one line review : A light and fluffy fast read about teen love crafted in a creative manner.

My rating : 5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment